Friday, October 23, 2009

This week was umm.... productive?

So anybody reading this might recall me saying I might have more information on how the project is going by this week. The good news is that I did get some stuff, namely, guns actually firing bullets, working. The bad news is that's all I got done this week and that was waay back on Sunday/Monday.

This week has been rather nasty due to other coursework supersceding the main project. Worst was the database course. The project is fairly striaghtforward. Everyone is/was to work in groups of 3-4 people and produce three or four programs that interact with a database tracking the hours of some hypothetical consultants. Very straigtforward... also very boring. The main twists were the intentionally vague specifications and the fact that part of the data, namely the client information (people buying consulting services, not the technobabble meaning of client), had to be on a MySQL database while everything else had to be on SQL Server. That meant a modest amount of extra work. Three/four client applications plus two databases. A nice little chunk of work to disrupt the momentum I had built up for the main project.

While I was definately productive on the database project (finishing my parts, the server and two of the clients, with about three days of work) I got barely anything done on the main project.

The work I did do was to fix/improve object composition. That is I can now make an object in-game out of many smaller objects. For example, a fighter can be made of a hull, two wings and two guns. This is all working well now. The underlying code isn't all that interesting to talk about so I'll refrain from doing so.

As I said before I also got firing bullets working. This really only required the addition of an extra phase in updating the game's state, known as the spawning phase. Any objects that are to be created are placed in a queue. At the end of the update they're created and added to the game. What I want to do now is add a few more rules governing when they're fired. I also need to add the capacity to remove expired objects from the game. Otherwise it will get quickly bogged down by thousands of bullets screaming off into the infinity of deep space.

No comments:

Post a Comment