Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Nasty Bites the Dust

As I mentioned in previous blog entries. This development cycle has been far more involved than the first. Mostly due to the fact that it involves a great deal of interdependent parts which all have to be developed at roughtly the same time. In this case I'm getting controls shared across multiple objects, object relationships and physics all working at once to support movement by simulating thrust.

I've figured out most of the math for the physics but it took several hours of effort to learn the basic math enough to even start. It was a few hours ago that I realized I'm starting to seriously diverge from what I want to be working on. What I'm trying to do is make the game look believable. I didn't originally intend to make the game accurate. *forehead slap* Out goes the physics, back to the drawing board.

My new method of simulating thrust is essentially a cheat. I'll just have thrusters appear to turn on and off in relation to the controls. Instead of simulating the behavior I'm simulating the appearance of the thrusters. This is far easier to build saving probably a day or more of work implementing it plus who know how long in getting it to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment