Friday, October 2, 2009

Perhaps we have a muse

The first few builds of the project have been finished. Nothing too interesting to look at but you can fly around in space and the cockpit (but none of the information it should display) renders. After some initial testing with the demos I've downloaded I've decided that the Nuclex framework fits my needs better than Titanium XNA. It's a much more minimal product in that it's more of a toolbox than a game engine but the quality of those tools is excellent. Props to you Cygon!

For the past few days my girlfriend and I have started watching Batman: The Animated Series. One of several excellent cartoon series released by Warner Brothers in the mid ninties. I'm still impressed with how they managed to create such a surprisingly mature cartoon that was still accessable to children.

"But, what does this have to do with the game?" you might ask... One feature with Batman that stood out for me when I first watched it, and stands out even more now, are the amazing Art Deco images that pervade the entire series. I love the dichotomy of the style. With the right execution it can look both elegant and inviting in one moment then evil and terrifying the next. It looks both futuristic and anachronistic at the same time. Art Deco is an incredibly rich artistic style which I'd love to explore within the game. The future of the past if you will.




Just imagine something like this locomotive as a huge space-faring battleship... yeaaahhh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment