Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More Spit and Polish

The project demo is in just a few days now. So I'm going crazy with minor bug fixes and polishing to ensure the demo goes well. For example:


  • The game join menu doesn't crash when no games are available

  • The game join menu will poll for new games if none are available

  • Beam weapons now do damage when swept through other ships

  • All incomplete scenarios are have been disabled

  • Fighters have photo****ed textures instead of default test patterns

  • Minor damge model bugs fixed

  • Thrusters flicker slowly enough to be noticable

  • Sound effects fade correctly



Regarding the photo****: One thing I really wanted to do in this game was give the fighters a nice metallic look. Metal is shiny! But, if I add shininess to the game it gets choppy. Ugh. But I might have a solution. Rust! Patina! etc.

I want to avoid making the game a rusty-brown shitefest so I'm hoping to go for more of a tarnished silver/brass/bronze/copper look. If, later, I manage to get some decent shininess at decent speed I'll bring back the metal look I wanted originally.

No comments:

Post a Comment